So we're sorting through our chairs at school and getting rid of broken ones. I get rid of a few but that leaves us with not enough chairs. Not enough chairs- in grade one!!!! Oh this is a disaster of epic proportions people! There are "Mrs. S!"'s all over the place. People are stealing other people's chairs and other's are just left confused as they stand at their desk. I bring some calm to this disorder and we problem solve. But then Mrs. M comes and takes all our chairs before recess to make stacks in our open area so we can see how many we have of each kind of chair from ALL the primaries. It's recess but we have no chairs!!! The kids sit on their desks, this is actually pretty cool they think. Now, meanwhile there are new, blue, ergonomically better chairs in our main foyer. I'm hoping that we get some of those. But I had to be a giant pain in the butt with my admin when I had my behaviour problem child and I'm thinking I'll just take whatever chairs I get. Then Mrs. M tells me that my kids can grab a new blue chair from the foyer on their way back from music and now I have a class set of new chairs! This is super exciting for my kids. And me too. Just getting to take and carry a new chair makes my kids so excited. This is after all grade one and it doesn't take much.
I've been doing a unit on Community Helpers forever. I am not exagerrating. I started before Spring Break but then we had a strike, 2 week Spring Break, and I misplaced the booklets for 1 week. So we're finally wrapping up the unit that will not end and we're writing about what we want to be when we grow up. The kids are working really quietly and focussing on their work. Then, the most dramatic "Mrs. S"!!! I go over to check things out and S tells me that D wants to be nothing when she grows up. S is just not happy about this. I talk with D and try to figure out if she just doesn't know or she's having trouble choosing one community helper. But no, D wants to do nothing. She says "I just don't want to do anything." Me: Umm...D, sweetie, you can't be nothing when you grow up. D says "But I just want to stay a kid forever." Me: That would be fun but it's not going to happen. Please go look through our books and pick something. So D ends up copying S (who told on her) like I wouldn't notice. Especially since S's was a dance teacher which was different from all the other girls who said teacher.
Thursday, May 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment