Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sorry for another "swimming is so brutal and aren't I an awesome mother for still taking them swimming?" post.







So let me back to May and June. Every Thursday at 10:35 Lexie would have swimming lessons and Cassidy and I would go to public swim. Cassidy's favorite thing to do was the hot tub which had this great ramp where parents and kids could hang out. The problem wasn't in the hot tub but when we left. She would kick and claw and scream at me. Then there was the other problem of when we were in the deep end she would always want me to let go. Those were her words. The worse part was in the change room though. Bare feet on the floor, having to pee in their washrooms, trying to find a room with a shower, dropped clothes on the wet floor, and lots of crying. So what do I do? I sign up all 3 girls for swimming lessons this summer!!! Every Saturday!!! What kind of a fool am I? A big one. Olivia and Lexie go to lessons by themselves but I have to go in with Cassidy. The first class did not go well. I'm talking really bad. I was THAT parent that everyone in the pool was thanking God they were not. Cassidy has only been for public swimming so the concept of being told what to do was not cool with her. The class starts out with all the kids sitting quietly in their parents laps at the edge of the pool. All the kids except Cassidy. She wants to go to the slide and she's yelling "Slide!" over and over. I actually at one point let her go down the slide to quiet her down but that wasn't enough. She still screamed for the slide. I continued to try and get her to participate in the class but she was spitting mad and kept hitting me and scratching me, all while screaming. We went through the same cycle with her hitting and scratching and me taking her out of the pool for a time out- all while screaming. Her not me in case you're wondering. I was exhausted at the end. I mean it's bad enough I have to put on a bathing suit over my pudgy body and hairy legs but the added humiliation of being screamed and clawed at by a 2 year old was alot to take. I considered taking her out of the class. I really considered that one. All week. But I decided to try another time. My plan was for Dan to take her but somehow he wormed his way out of it. The second class was so much better. Still a struggle but alot better. Please someone share with me their stories of swimming. Am I weird? Does swimming just not go well for me???





Check out our pool! It's on it's second year of use. I bought it 2 years ago at Superstore's blow out summer sale for like $2.99. This was back when Superstore was well....the Superstore of old. Ya, some of you know what I'm talking about. Back when their colors were yellow and black and their sale signs were flourescent colors. Now they're all cool and hip and their pools are $49.99.

This is the same little girl who cries when I rinse the shampoo out of her hair. She's also the same little girl who gets agitated when a drop of liquid falls on her clothes. She then proceeds to get naked and away from the wet. This time she couldn't have cared less.

1 comments:

katherine said...

Two. Man oh man. I hear ya. They can be little monkeys sometimes. So I am not a long time parent and my toddler is just entering her twos but I would forget swimming lessons until she can actually learn from them. Maybe when she can do some "practice sessions" listening to mommy in the pool and practice following some of the same instructions the instructors gave, then sign her up? And FYI, you are very BRAVE...at least your older kids can get some swimming lessons in!

Post a Comment