Sunday, September 16, 2012

How did that happen?

First off how did I just turn 38? And secondly, how on earth did I end up doing the Grouse Grind on my birthday? When Dan first asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday I said "I want a massage." Umm...so how in the heck did I end up doing the Grind I kept asking myself? If you watch Big Brother, you know Dan. Well, my Dan somehow ended up pulling a BB Dan. He did offer to buy me a lunch on the top and that's what I was really looking forward to. I'll be honest- I did not enjoy going up the Grind. It is so hard! I have not been sleeping well and hadn't slept well the night before, I had a pinch in my hip and I didn't eat enough before hand. But I was determined to beat my last time. I pushed myself when I really wanted to just stop and give up. My last time was 1 hr 19 mins and this time I did 1 hr 14 mins. That 5 minutes feels so good! When we get up to the top I hear other people talking about their times. "How long did we take?" one girl asks. "An hour and a half" said another girl. "Oh, we'll just tell people it was an hour." the first girl says. Then another girl asks her companion "How long?" and she says "An hour 25." I have to admit that I was super pumped when I looked and saw that they were all younger than me!!! THAT. FELT. GOOD. But actually I didn't really feel all that physically good afterwards. As I was waiting in line at the bathroom I felt dizzy and nauseous, and I had the beginnings of a headache. The headache lasted for hours but luckily the other stuff went away.
When we got to the restaurant with the amazing view:
(source: http://www.mdfeeds.com/2009/05/31/altitudes-bistro-north-vancouver-bc/)

it was closing for a private function! But that was okay. I had planned for that and packed some extra clothes in the van. We ended up going to Cactus Club in North Van. It was a lunch date just me and Dan and that was the best present. I had my favourite fish tacos while Dan had a Cajun chicken burger. We got a little shopping in at the Village at Park Royal and then went to Dan's parents to pick up the girls. Dan's mom had gotten me a chocolate cake that we all indulged in. YUM!
As we were waiting in line for the Gondola Dan says we can come back next week for his birthday. Wait- WHAT? Do the Grind again next week? Are you crazy? Stay tuned to see if Dan can pull that off. Right now I'm a firm NO but who knows?

0 comments:

Post a Comment