Wednesday, September 8, 2010

So excited about school!


Olivia and Lexie are the best of friends. This summer they have spent many hours playing together and building up their life long friendship. It's been really great to watch them together. For the first couple years of Olivia's life she was the centre of our universe. I got pregnant a second time just so she could have a sibling. When I had a girl I was ecstatic. I always wanted a sister and I had built up this fantasy about sisters. Don't get me wrong I know things won't always be rainbows and sunshines but what I've learned over the years through other sisters is that no matter what happens, a sister is there for you. Things are changing for my little girls. Olivia is off to kindergarten and Lexie is off to preschool. Today was the first day for both of them. My Aunt Laurie came over to help with the chaos that comes with two school schedules plus a nap schedule.
First up was Miss Olivia and Corpus Christi. She excitedly got her uniform on and off we walked. It was nice to hang out with just Olivia. She held my hand and chatted about kindergarten. Today was just a meeting with Mrs. T. The first thing she did was a little assessment of Olivia. I had to bite my tongue when I saw the sheet b/c I thought "that's way too easy for Olivia, she knows that all!" The first question was "When is your birthday?" Olivia thinks and thinks. She totally knows her b-day. Just as Mrs. T is saying "That's okay if you don't know it..." Olivia answers "Well, I know it's March 11th but I don't know when that is." We're always counting down to things so she must have been trying to figure out how many days until her b-day! Then is was colours (easy!) numbers, shapes, print your name and then letters. Olivia breezed through the letters. She even caught on when one letter was duplicated! Because Olivia knew all her letters she was given a little book to take home and read. Again, I had to bite my tongue. I wanted to say "Oh, that's way too easy for Olivia." but I didn't. This book is one of those books that goes "Look at John. Come John. See John." An example of a book Olivia can read is a science reader we got through Scholastic that has words like Earth, space, universe, and giant dwarf. Mrs. T is quite firm and was very strict with Olivia when she was doing the assessment. She did it in a nice way but you can tell she does not accept any nonsense.




Then it was Lexie's turn. Off we went to Killarney Park Preschool, a totally familiar environment for Lexie. Olivia stayed behind with Aunt Laurie so as not to distract Lexie. Lexie was so cute the way she marched confidently into the preschool room. She has always been Miss Independent. She only spent half an hour today at preschool but she played nicely the whole time. (There was one crier!) I am worried though because in her class of 14 students there are only 2 other girls! I'm hoping she just won't notice. She is also going to be going to Killarney Community Centre preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays so hopefully there are some more girls in that class.
Tomorrow Olivia starts her regular hours for kindergarten. Lexie doesn't go back to preschool until Tuesday. I'm kinda freaking out about the schedules and making sure Miss Cassidy gets in her naps. I'm off to pack a snack and get ready for school!














0 comments:

Post a Comment